The History of William Howard School
The Origin of Our Name
The school is named after Lord William Howard (1563–1640), who was the third son of Thomas, Duke of Norfolk. He married Elizabeth, the daughter and co-heiress of William, Lord Dacre, from whom the Naworth Castle branch of the Howard Family is descended. A Grade II monument of William Howard, 7th Earl of Carlisle, is positioned on one of the highest hills adjacent to Brampton town centre, known as the Mote.
The school used to be known as the Irthing Valley Secondary Modern School, which was built between 1949 and 1953. It merged with the White House Grammar School situated on Main Street, in 1980 when comprehensive education replaced the selective education system.
The Origin of Our Symbol – the Scallop Shell
The scallop shell was the symbol of the medieval travellers who made the important Christian pilgrimage to Santiago de Compostela in Northern Spain. The local connection came when it was made part of the Howard family coat of arms. The old Scallopians was the name of the association of former students of the previous secondary schools in Brampton that joined to form William Howard School.