As a student at William Howard School, right from the start of Year 7 through to leaving in Year 11 and 13 you will take part in careers related learning in tutor times, subject lessons, assemblies, trips etc. Careers Events Programme (2023-24)
The dates for this year’s IAG mornings and work experience during 2023-24 are:
- Years 11 & 13 Apprentice Fair – Monday 9th October 2023
- Year 11 Work Experience – Monday 11th to Friday 15th December 2023
- Year 9 Options IAG Morning – Monday 11th March 2024
- Years 7 & 8 IAG Day – Monday 29th April 2024
- Year 12 Work Experience – Monday 8th July to Friday 12th July 2025
- Year 10 Mock Interview and Post 16 Morning – Monday 8th July 2025
You may have visits from guest speakers at universities, colleges, apprenticeship providers, different companies during assemblies and lessons and be given the opportunity to take part in a range of activities or given futures information in a range of contexts.
Students have a designated IAG page on the school VLE for careers which is linked to local labour market information: Information, Advice & Guidance (IAG) — William Howard School (fireflycloud.net). You will need you school login to access these resources including CV templates and a work experience database.
We are School Accredited Members of the Careers Development Institute due to the strength of our externally assessed Information, Advice & Guidance (IAG) offer to students. Mrs Hill (Associate Assistant Headteacher/Careers Lead) is a CDI Registered Careers Lead, and Mrs Meakin (Aspirations Coach) is a CDI Registered Careers Practitioner, these are the recognised qualifications needed to offer 1-1 careers advice and support under the Gatsby Benchmarks as set by the Department for Education.
To build on the IAG already offered across all subjects, the WHS Department Careers Champions have undertaken training on a new programme called Skillsbuilder which will be launched with the students in January 2023. Skillsbuilder is a framework for 8 key skills that students can demonstrate across their time in school to support them towards their future career aspirations.
WHS Departmental Careers Champions:
- Maths– Mr Buttress
- English– Mr Burkes
- Science/STEM– Mr Ling
- Humanities– Ms Sanderson
- Art/Photography– Mrs Bertram
- Computing– Ms Angland
- Design Technology– Mrs Twentyman
- Health & Social Care– Mrs Nettleton
- RE– Mrs Booker/Mr Connolly
- PD– Mrs Fitton/Mrs Gregory
- MFL– Miss Leighton
- Performing Arts– Mrs Cooper
- PE– Mr Tidmarsh
- Business– Mrs Hill
- Learning Provision– Mrs Bouch
- Sixth Form– Mrs Meakin
- Alternative Curriculum– Ms Sawdon
If you have any careers related questions please see Mrs Hill in her office at break times or contact her by email: firstname.lastname@example.org