In the run up to Christmas our House Teams are turning their attention to ‘giving’, with each House supporting a different chosen charity:
ACACIA are collecting for Mission Christmas/Cash for Kids http://www.cashforkids.uk.com/. They’re asking students to donate toys and items (in original packaging/boxes), which are suitable for a range of ages.
MPINGO have chosen Operation Christmas Child https://www.samaritans-purse.org.uk/what-we-do/operation-christmas-child/ and are collecting items suitable for the shoe boxes that are delivered to Children all around the world.
BAOBAB are collecting non-perishable food items for Carlisle Foodbank https://www.carlislefoodbank.org.uk/.
NDIZI are supporting Oaktree Animal Sanctuary https://www.oaktreeanimals.org.uk/ and Guide Dogs https://www.guidedogs.org.uk. They are collecting blankets, towels, old clean bedding, sheets, pet food and toys. Dave and Rebel from Guide Dogs for the Blind, kindly visited the Ndizi House Assembly this morning. Dave spoke to the students about the huge difference that the charity makes to people who have impaired sight.
As students hand in their donation in school, they receive a token which they can ‘cash in’ on Christmas Jumper/Accessory Day (Monday, 16 December), allowing them to wear their festive item of clothing or accessory (tinsel, hairband, etc). Students will also be able to pay a cash donation on this day if they would like to wear something Christmas-themed.
A number of other House events have been planned for the next few weeks:
- A Christmas Tree Decoration Competition is happening during a break time, and will be used to adorn the Year 7 to 10 common rooms.
- A House Bake-Off Competition is taking place after school on Thursday, 5 December, when competitors will be challenged to bake a Victoria Sandwich Cake within an hour.
- During PE lessons in the last week of term, Santa dashes will provide some festive fun as well as an opportunity to score points for the House Teams.
- Staff teams will battle it out in a House Hockey match on Wednesday, 18 December,
- For those with a musical appreciation (or not), a staff karaoke promises to provide some memorable entertainment during break times on Thursday 19, December. Proceeds from the ticket sales will be divided equally between the House chosen charities.
- During December each house point earned by the students will be represented by a bauble in our Christmas Bauble Competition.
Last Friday the first House Quiz took place after school in the Old Vicarage in Walton. WHS filled the venue with Year 13 students and staff on each team. The winning team were Baobab and the student Heads of House, Ellie and Niamh, generously shared their prize with everyone there. Mpingo were runners up, Acacia were third and Ndizi won the Santa spatula (a festive version of the wooden spoon!).