William Howard School is committed to ensuring the welfare and safety of all students. We believe that students have a right to learn in a supportive, caring and safe environment which includes the right to protection from all types of abuse.
If any members of the school or local community have concerns about the welfare of a child in the school, or if you have any safeguarding queries, please contact our School Safeguarding Team.
Our Designated Safeguarding Leads are: Mr O’Connor and Mrs Mothersdale
Mrs Mothersdale is also the designated teacher responsible for children who are looked after, or previously looked after children.
Cumbria Local Safeguarding Children Board (LSCB) Website: http://cumbrialscb.com/
This section of the LSCB website is aimed at Parents and Carers to provide information regarding safeguarding and related matters that may be worrying them: http://cumbrialscb.com/LSCB/parents/tiles.asp
Useful information for parents
- NSPCC https://www.nspcc.org.uk/keeping-children-safe/
- NSPCC helpline – 0800 136 663
- National Online Safety https://nationalonlinesafety.com/guides
- CEOP for Parents/Carers https://parentinfo.org/
- Parents’ Guide for Safe YouTube and Internet Streaming for Kids
- protecting children from maltreatment;
- preventing impairment of children’s mental and physical health or development;
- ensuring children are growing up in circumstances consistent with the provision of safe and effective care; and
- taking action to enable all children to have the best outcomes.
Safeguarding is not just about protecting children from deliberate harm. It relates to all aspects of school life and involves a collective set of measures to ensure every child is kept safe. It includes child protection, health care plans, health and safety, site security, safety on school trips, anti-bullying work and so much more. A detailed definition can be found in our Overall Safeguarding Statement (visit www.cumbriaeducationtrust.org/policies/)
We have a number of policies and procedures in place that contribute to our safeguarding commitment, including our Child Protection Policy which can be viewed in the Policies section of our website.