This week is National Apprenticeship Week. To launch the week at WHS, Carlisle College staff visited to give our Year 11 students a presentation explaining the difference between an apprenticeship and a college course, as well as the various apprenticeship routes that are now available in our local area. During their Personal Development lessons, both Year 10 and 11 are further researching these apprenticeship opportunities.
Meanwhile, a small group of Year 11 students worked with Inspira to develop their presentation skills in a ‘Dragons Den’ type task about innovation.
WHS Careers Lead, Mrs Hill, spoke to Sixth Form students in assembly about Graduate Apprenticeship routes; and in tutor time each day, upcoming apprenticeship opportunities and how to apply are being shared with Year 11 and Year 13 students. The Bell Group also visited Year 11 lessons to talk about their apprenticeship offer.
Within subject areas, our Careers Champions are sharing information on the various routes to apprenticeships in their particular fields.
Our Alumnus of the month for February, Ryan Hetherington, illustrated how his trainee path followed a Dream Placement with the Centre for Leadership Performance whilst in Year 13. After half term, another alumna of William Howard is scheduled to talk to Year 13 students about her apprenticeship journey and the opportunities to work for an international employer as a Graduate Apprentice.
To find out more about Apprenticeships and opportunities available, visit these links:
- Inspira’s Apprenticeship tool kit
- Join Us for the Apprentice Open Evening | Lloyd Motor Group
- Apprenticeships home page (cumbriaapprenticeships.org.uk)
- Why degree apprenticeships deserve your attention – HEP
- Learning & Development (Apprenticeships, Skills & Qualifications) (mod.uk)
- Apprenticeships (enwl.co.uk)
- The Parent Perspective Podcast – Amazing Apprenticeships
- NHS apprenticeships | NHS Health Careers
- Join our free online events for National Apprenticeship Week (govdelivery.com)
- Downloadable posters linking curriculum areas to careers: https://amazingapprenticeships.com/subject-led-bundles/