This policy will help us to determine a course of action should we experience a situation that results in a full school closure before the school day or a gradual school closure during the school day.
FULL SCHOOL & GRADUAL SCHOOL CLOSURE PROCEDURE
- In the event of adverse weather, all bus contractors to contact the Admin Teamleader as early as possible advising of any vehicles not running.
- The school may have to be closed for a number of reasons other than adverse weather e.g. heating, electricity etc. In these situations this procedure would be followed from No.6.
- The number of staff unable to get into school is vital to making a decision on a school closure due to adverse weather. All staff should ring the school absence line before 7.00am if possible (Tel: 016977 45799) or e-mail email@example.com if, due to adverse weather, they are unable to make it into school.
- Administrative Officer – Cover to check the staff absence line (from home if necessary) and inform Site Operations Manager and/or senior staff of the number of reported staff absences.
- Using ground conditions and staff absence as an indicator, the Site Operations Manager to determine the likelihood of problems due to weather and to discuss with the Headteacher whether school will close.
- A decision to close the school must be made before 7.15am.
- In the event of a Headteacher wishing to close their school, they must contact CET’s Operations Director to discuss the decision. The Operations Director will then decide whether or not to grant approval for the school to close. If a Headteacher is unable to contact CET’s Operations Director, they should contact CET’s Chief Executive. If the decision is taken to close the school, the Admin Teamleader will send an email and/or text message to all parents & staff informing them of this decision. This will be sent remotely if necessary.
- If a decision is made to close the school, CET’s Business Operations Manager will contact relevant press (e.g. CFM), to inform them of the closure. Schools are responsible for updating their own social media platforms. The Admin Teamleader/On-Line Co-ordinator will ensure that all information is put on the school website and updated as necessary.
- Site Operations Manager will get Site Staff to put out the school closure signs around the school perimeters – main entrance & exit gates, science gate, and rear PE gate.
- Any staff who can get to school and designated staff living in Brampton to be on-site ASAP, unless the school is closed for health & safety reasons and the site is deemed unsafe.
- The whole school will switch to remote online learning as per our remote learning policy as soon as possible.
- The main phone lines will need to be manned – this may mean deploying members of staff who are in school. All operations will be co-ordinated from the main office.
- The number of staff in school (teaching and support) has to be monitored – this will be done by signing-in using the Sign In App at main reception.
- The Site Operations Manager and Headteacher will make a decision regarding evening usage and inform the media as necessary.
All staff should make a judgement on whether to make the journey to school. At no time should staff compromise their own personal safety.
GRADUAL SCHOOL CLOSURE
- In the event of a situation arising that means Headteacher would need to close the school during the school day (adverse weather, electricity failure etc), then they must contact CET’s Operations Director to discuss the decision. The Operations Director will then decide whether or not to grant approval for the school to close. If a Headteacher is unable to contact CET’s Operations Director, they should contact CET’s Chief.
- If a decision is made to close the school, CET’s Business Operations Manager will contact relevant press (e.g. CFM), to inform them of the closure. Schools are responsible for updating their own social media platforms. Admin Teamleader or a member of the Senior Team to contact the LA, (via Schools Portal) – CFM pick up closures through Schools Portal or can be emailed directly via the News Room.
- The Site Operations Manager will liaise with the Headteacher, and the Admin Teamleader will then contact bus contractors and schedule the collection of students.
- In the event of deteriorating weather conditions during the school day, bus contractors may contact WHS with details of route(s) which are affected and when they are coming to collect students.
- SSC to be closed and the gradual school closure plan to be implemented from the main office.
- In liaison with the Site Operations Manager, the Admin Teamleader will implement the “runner routes” around school. Administration staff will be responsible for regularly e-mailing staff with up-to-date information on the progress of the closure.
- The Admin Teamleader/On-line Co-ordinator will ensure that information is put on the website and updated as necessary and pushed out via Social Media. An email and/or a text message will also be sent to the parents of the affected students – this will be done remotely if necessary.
- A member of the Leadership Team will be deployed to liaise, via walkie-talkie, with Site Operations Manager regarding bus arrivals and departures.
- Students to be directed to the Performance Hall to wait for their bus to arrive. Students to be given the opportunity to ring a parent/carer if they have no means of making a phone call. Where direct contact cannot be made, emails and/or texts will be sent informing parents that students have been returned home.
- Unless we implement a full school closure, all students who live in Brampton or walk to school must remain in school.
- If we implement a full school closure, the Admin Teamleader will send an email and/or a text message to parents informing them of the decision to close the school. The Admin Teamleader/On-line Co-ordinator will ensure that information is put on the website and pushed out via Social Media.
- Any staff who must leave due to adverse weather conditions must inform their Line Manage and Headteacher who will ensure cover is possible.
- Site Operations Manager and Headteacher will make a decision regarding evening usage and inform the media as necessary.
(Review & Published September 2023)